Stage One (Program Audit/Accreditation)
Stage One of the Buros accreditation process is a review of a testing program's practices and procedures. This includes, but is not limited to, examination of the testing program's organizational structure, procedures associated with test development, test administration, psychometric methods, analyses, test security, scoring, reporting, and record maintenance.
Stage One of the Buros Audit process:
- The testing program submits materials documenting policies, procedures, and results of testing program(s) to Buros for review.
- Buros conducts a thorough review of all materials and evaluates policies and procedures against the Buros Standards for Accreditation of Testing Programs.
- Buros conducts a site visit to the testing program's office to observe processes and interview key personnel.
- The testing program key personnel are provided an opportiunity to review the draft report for factual accuracy.
- Buros prepares the final Stage One audit report.
Successful completion of Stage One results in a general accreditation of the provider's examination program, but does not accredit specific tests. Many clients opt to participate in Stage One as an audit of their program. Testing programs considering seeking Buros accreditation should contact Buros to confirm their application utilizes the correct documents.
Stage Two (Test Accreditation)
If Stage One accreditation is awarded, the program is eligible to move to Stage Two of the accreditation process. This stage involves review of the psychometric characteristics of specific tests that were developed using the Stage One accreditation process.
Stage Two of the Buros Audit process:
- The testing program submits materials documenting processes and practices associated with the results and data analyses of each test to Buros for review.
- Buros conducts a thorough review of these materials against the Buros Standards for Accreditation of Testing Programs.This review includes examining the psychometric properties of the test including the consistency of the test form with the table of specifications, reliability, decision consistency, equated passing score, item analyses, and other analyses.
- Buros prepares a report of findings detailing the extent that the characteristics of the test(s) adhere to the Buros standards.
The second stage, if successfully passed, results in the accreditation of specific tests developed by the test provider.